Module – I Introduction to Interpretation of Statutes
- Meaning of Interpretation of Statutes
- Objects & Kinds of Interpretation of Statutes
1.3 General theories of Interpretation of Statutes
Module – II Rules of Statutory Interpretation
2.1 Primary Rules
Literal or Grammatical Rule
Mischief Rule (Rule in the Heydon’s case)
2.2 Secondary Rules or Subsidiary Rules of Interpretation
Noscitur a Sociis
Reddando Singula Singulis
Module – III Aids to Interpretation
3.1 Internal Aids
Definitions; Interpretation clauses General Clauses Act
Exceptions and saving clauses
3.2 External Aids
Travaux preparatoires or surrounding circumstances
Module – IV Commencement of Statutes; Retrospective effect of Statutes, Repeals and Temporary Statutes
4.1 Commencement of Statutes
4.2 Retrospective effect of Statutes
4.3 Consequences of Repeals
4.4 Temporary Statutes
Module – V Interpretation with reference to the subject matter of Statutes
5.1 Taxing Statutes
5.2 Penal Statutes
5.3 Remedial and Beneficial Statutes
Module – VI Interpretation of Constitutional
6.1 Harmonious Construction – Generalis Specialibus Non Derogant
6.2 Interpretation of Fundamental Rights
The rule of Severability
Doctrine of Eclipse
Doctrine of Waiver
- P. Singh “Principles of Statutory Interpretation, (9th Edition) 2008, Wadhwa, Nagpur.
- St. Langan (Ed.) Maxwell on The Interpretation of Statutes (1976), Lexis Nexis Butterworths, New Delhi.
- S. Bindras’s Interpretation of Statutes, 2007, Lexis Nexis Butterworths, New Delhi.
- P, Interpretation of Statutes, (2008) Orient Publishing, New Delhi.
- Bakshi, P.M. Interpretation of Statutes. (2008) Orient Publishing, New Delhi.
- Dias – Jurisprudence – chapt. 7, 8, and 15